'Being Lolita' by Alisson Wood - Review

 I have never read a memoir before, though not for lack of trying. There are plenty on my bookshelf back home, bought impulsively or as a Christmas gift. But I have never actually sat down and read one, start to finish. I don’t really know why. I think it’s their lack of fictionality – because surely fact can’t be stranger than fiction? 

‘Being Lolita’ didn’t help me answer that last question, because it’s a mix of both. But it was the first memoir I sat and finished, in fact I read it in 2 days. Wood’s writing is beautiful in its simplicity; heart-breaking where it must be heart-breaking and powerful as she chooses to be powerful. I didn’t love this book, because it is not a story to be loved, but I admired and felt for Alisson in every single phrase. I am glad I read it. 

I have not read ‘Lolita’ itself, and I don’t see myself ever reaching for it. My time at university is coming to an end and it was never an assigned text, so I never had reason to seek it out. I don’t think I need to. I was inspired to read ‘Being Lolita’ after listening to Jamie Loftus’ ‘Lolita Podcast,’ in which Loftus breaks down the novel and all its reaches in popular culture in tremendous detail. It’s 10 episodes long and worth every second if you’ve got the chance, Loftus’ work is haunting and inspiring. 

‘Being Lolita’ has taught me the power of a lived experience, the power of memoir. I will certainly be reaching for more. Starting from the ones abandoned on my shelves. 



Comments

Popular Posts