What I Read In April

April was a good month for me for reading. I had spent most of March lost and confused, with University transitioning into online teaching and moving down from my uni house to my home house. I was flustered and not really reading much of anything.

But then April kicked into gear and I really got started.

I did have some help though. Out of the seven books I read in April, only one of them I had not started earlier on in the year. This was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, which my previous post was about, so get check that out for my review/reflection on that.

I started this month by finishing Little Women. I had not read it until this year, and after seeing Greta Gerwig's film at Christmas, I had to get my hands on it. The edition I have only includes the first half of the story, so I need to get the grown-up bit later on, but I'm currently in the middle of a pretty big fantasy series so that might have to wait a while... I really enjoyed Alcott's American classic, but I've got to say, it just made me want to watch the film so much more!

Up next was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The whole point of me reading this was to kickstart a re-read of the Harry Potter series, but sadly that has not come to pass. I started with this one because I've read Philosopher's Stone hundreds of times, and Chamber of Secrets is my least favourite, and Goblet of Fire is my favourite, so I thought I'd want to move on. But, considering I started this book in January, my motivation clearly wasn't that high.

I moved onto Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (which I have reviewed a couple posts back!) and absolutely loved it. This book definitely got me out of my reading slump, and I'm now eagerly awaiting it's sequel. Whenever it may arrive.

After finishing Fangirl next, I finally sat down and read a book I was supposed to have read months ago. The Story of an African Farm by Olive Schreiner. Now I've read this book, I am really annoyed that I didn't read it for my Fin de Siècle module back in autumn. It's a really interesting feminist novel, with complex ideas about identity. As an English undergrad, it is always rare to find a book you genuinely find yourself enjoying, and I'm glad I finally read it, and didn't just leave it gathering dust on my bookshelf.

I next tackled the last 100 pages of A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. I bought all of the books in the series whilst the final season was airing last summer, ready to read them once the show wrapped up. And then the series finale came along and my taste for Game of Thrones soured. But, enough time has passed now, and I am nearly finished with A Clash of Kings and cannot wait to get to the next in the series, as I know it features POVs from my favourite character Jaime Lannister. I am definitely enjoying Clash more than the first book, but this is solely because the first season of the TV show is such an honest adaption of the first book. There was nothing I was reading that I didn't already. know from watching the show (except for the fact that all the children are drastically younger in the book!)

I was on a good streak with finishing books I had started a while ago, so I finished April by reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which I started I-don't-even-know-when. I had no idea this book was the first in a trilogy, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same. It was not what I expected, but I guess that's rather the point of the book. I will read the rest of them eventually!

Up next for me is the rest of A Song of Ice and Fire (or at least as much I can read until I get bored of them...) I also really want to read the Dune series before the movie comes out, but I know that's a big commitment.

Thanks for reading, let me know what you read this month!

Comments

Popular Posts